Use your favorite marinara recipe for the sauce; we will do a show on ours soon!!!!!
For the eggplant cutlets:
- 2 large, firm eggplant; peel & trim sides from top and bottom, then slice into long, thin planks 1/4-to 1/2-inch thick
- all-purpose flour
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- small handful flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- safflower and/or olive oil for frying
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
Set up breading station with three dishes: in one, place the flour seasoned with salt and pepper; in the second, beat the eggs and season with salt and pepper; and in the last, mix the breadcrumbs with grated cheese, parsley, and garlic.
Place a very large skillet on the stove and pour in 1/4 inch of oil; preheat over medium to medium-high heat. Set a wire rack on a rimmed baking sheet and place it next to the frying pan.
Bread 3 to 4 planks of eggplant at a time first in flour, shaking off excess, then the eggs, draining off any excess and lastly in the breadcrumbs, pressing the coating onto planks.
Fry eggplant in batches until deep golden and crisp; drain on wire rack.
Preheat broiler to high.
Build eggplant parm on a broiler-proof pan or baking sheet. Transfer to dinner platters or use a broiler-proof sizzler pan.
Shingle 2 to 3 planks of eggplant cutlets on the pan and top with marinara, sliced mozzarella and a sprinkle of parm. Broil to brown and bubble the cheese.